Beyond the Obvious 2015
Isis Arts Co-director Clymene Christoforou will be participating in Beyond the Obvious 2015, the annual conference of Culture Action Europe. Beyond the Obvious 2015 promises to be a thought-provoking gathering made of large scale and small scale dialogues, encounters, community-building, exchanges between local and other European cultural actors. Beyond the Obvious 2015 invites its participants to learn, reflect and debate on what balance shall be sought between the condition for a meaningful public sphere on one side, and private and commercial interests on the other, in order to fulfil cultural - and thus human - rights.
Clymene will be moderating a discussion on freedom of expression between Rachel Jolley (Index on Censorship), Kathrin Merkle (Council of Europe), Nir Boms (cyberdissident.org) and Rasoul Nejadmehr (Vastra Gotaland Region).
Participants in Beyond the Obvious 2015 will have the chance to engage in three streams of discussions around the main focus:
• EXPRESS explores the tensions that endanger the right to freedom of opinion and expression and identify the paths to protect and enhance it.
• CREATE explores the tensions between the right to create and enjoy culture and the right to fair remuneration in the digital sphere.
• PARTICIPATE explore the value of actively contributing to your community wellbeing and government by intently participating in the cultural life.
The programme is built around three formats of discussion, with all them addressing the three lenses.
• IDEAS ROOM: Through a tradition symposium style, participants will discuss the power of key ideas and concepts, engaging in active conversations.
• STORIES ROOM: In smaller groups, participants will hear and gather around stories and practices from all over Europe to deepen the understanding of possible [alternatives] ways of “doing culture”.
• SCENARIO ROOM: In highly collaborative lab-style sessions, small working-groups will explore the consequences and implications of some tomorrow’s scenarios that will be presented. In each room, different Discussion Activators will act as catalysts of conversations.
When: 15-17 October 2015.
Where: Brewhouse in Gothenburg.